How to shop for modern dining room furniture
- Measure your dining area - Before you start shopping for dining room furniture, it's important to measure your dining area accurately. Take note of the dimensions, including the length, width, and height of the space. Pay attention to any architectural features like windows, doors, or pillars that might affect furniture placement. Also note if access to an outdoor deck is required or space allocated for a buffet or sideboard. This preliminary step will prevent you from purchasing pieces that are either too large for the room, obstruct walkways, or create an imbalanced layout.
- Consider size and shape - The size and shape of the dining table are critical factors to consider. The table should comfortably accommodate your family and guests without feeling overcrowded. As a general rule, allow at least 24 inches of space for each person seated at the table. Additionally, consider the shape of the table – round, rectangular, square, or oval – and choose one that fits well with your dining area's layout and style.
- Balance style and function - Modern dining room furniture often exhibits sleek and minimalist designs, but it's essential to strike a balance between style and function. Choose chairs that are not only visually appealing but also comfortable to sit in for extended periods. Upholstered seats can add a touch of luxury and comfort to the dining experience. If you have limited space, consider dining benches or chairs that can be easily tucked under the table when not in use.
- Carefully choose the material - The material of the dining furniture significantly impacts the overall look and durability of the pieces. Common materials used in modern dining room furniture include:
- Wood - Wooden dining sets offer timeless elegance and natural warmth. Opt for hardwoods like oak, walnut, or cherry for enhanced durability. If you prefer a more contemporary look, consider sleeker, lighter wood finishes.
- Metal - Dining tables with metal frames and glass or wood tops provide a modern and industrial vibe. Metal chairs can be both sturdy and stylish, making them an excellent addition to a modern dining room.
- Glass - Glass-top tables create an illusion of space and openness, making them perfect for smaller dining areas. They also pair well with various chair styles, making it easy to create an eclectic look.
- Ceramic & Porcelain - available in a wide variety of colours and patterns, ceramic and porcelain dining table tops offer durable stain and scratch resistant surface. Usually supported with a substrate of glass, these tops are as beautiful and elegant as they are durable.
- Mixed materials - Many modern dining sets combine different materials to create unique and eye-catching designs. For example, a table with a wooden base and a marble top can offer a blend of natural and contemporary elements.
How to style modern dining room furniture
To enhance the ambiance, incorporate lighting fixtures that exude a modern and sophisticated vibe, such as pendant lights or statement chandeliers. Adding a rug beneath the dining table can anchor the space and introduce texture and pattern. Accessorize with carefully curated tableware, modern artwork, and a table top centrepiece to tie the whole look together.
Embrace a cohesive colour palette with pops of bold accents to infuse energy and personality into the dining area. Remember, the key to styling modern dining room furniture is to maintain a clean and uncluttered aesthetic while infusing it with your unique style sensibilities.
Visit our showroom at Revolve Furnishings in Calgary, a modern furniture store where you can find high-quality furniture and the latest in interior design.