Tips for buying a modern sofa
What makes a sofa ‘modern’? Modern sofas feature solid edges, elegant hues, wood or stainless-steel legs, and clean angles that all exude a contemporary feel. Modern sofas are sleek with little adornment and are truly a work of art and a piece of architecture that has the power to transform a room. Here are some of our top tips for buying a modern sofa:
- Size - Determine where you want to place your sofa, whether it will be situated against a wall or floating in the room. Be sure to measure the room, angles, doorways, and any other obstructions.
- Colour - The aesthetic you’re trying to achieve will help you choose the right colour for your sofa. Are you looking for minimalistic grey and cream? Bold, vivid colours like teal and orange? Classic black or warm browns and caramels? At Revolve Furnishings, our modern sofas can be customized with a variety of colour and fabric options to suit your personal taste.
- Textile - The material you choose can give your space a very different look. Velvet adds a touch of luxury, leather is the most versatile, and a fabric sofa brings a warm and cozy vibe. You can draw some inspiration from our showroom to help you achieve the aesthetic you envision.
The different types of sofas
Modern sofas come in different sizes and functionalities that meet the needs of the space. Choose from clean, simple stationary sofas to designs that can recline and adjust. We offer:
- Loveseats & Condo size sofas - A loveseat is a small sofa that seats two people. Loveseats are ideal for smaller spaces or as part of a larger seating arrangement in a large, open space. Loveseats are typically paired with a primary sofa and are also an excellent option for a home office and bedroom. Condo or apartment-size sofas are smaller-scale sofas that can seat 2-3 people comfortably and can be paired with accent chairs to complete a room.
- Sofas and extended sofas - These sofas can comfortably seat three to five people. If space allows, pair a sofa with complimenting armchairs or a loveseat and an ottoman.
- Sofabeds - Designer sofabeds are chic, functional, and a space-saving luxury that can accommodate guests without sacrificing style. Modern sofabeds can be transformed into a bed and back into a sofa with ease.
Styling a modern sofa
Complete the look of your modern sofa with an area rug
in complementary colours and patterns, chic side tables, cozy throw pillows, and a modern coffee table
. And, of course, don’t forget the little details that can pull the space together and make a statement. Use bold artwork
, contemporary lighting
, and add finishing touches with accessories and decor
Modern Sofa FAQs
What is a sofa?
A sofa is a piece of furniture that typically seats three to five people and is considered one of the most important pieces of furniture in the home. It is usually upholstered in fabric or leather and typically sits on solid wood or metal frame.
What is the difference between a sofa and a couch?
Many people use these terms interchangeably, but in a technical and design point of view, the difference between the two is that a couch describes "a piece of furniture with no arms used for lying” while a sofa is defined as "a long, upholstered seat usually with arms and a back.”
How many types of sofas are there?
While there are many types of sofas, the main types are sectional, traditional, loveseat, and sofa bed. Some of the most popular designs are mid-century modern, Lawson, Tuxedo, English roll arm, and Chesterfield.
What are things to consider when buying a sofa?
When buying a sofa, the most important thing to consider is size. Be sure to measure the room and take into account angles and doorways. The next thing to consider is style and the aesthetic you’re going for. A sofa is likely the largest piece of furniture in the room and pulls the look of the space together. Consider the material when designing your room - for example, velvet adds a touch of luxury, leather is the most versatile, and a fabric sofa exudes a warm and cozy vibe.
Which sofa would you recommend for families with young children?
We recommend either leather, microfibre, or canvas. Spills are easy to clean on a leather couch, while microfibre and canvas are comfortable and low maintenance.
Which sofa would you recommend for pets?
Leather is a great option because it’s easy to clean, repels odours, and is durable. Unlike fabric sofas, leather does not trap pet hair and dust. Keep in mind that sharp claws can scratch leather sofas.
Should I choose a fabric or a leather sofa?
It depends on the aesthetic and vibe you’re going for. Leather is a versatile and durable material that can be easily cleaned, whereas fabric can be more comfortable and cozy.
Do your sofas come with a warranty?
Yes. Our sofas, except for items sold “as is” come with a Manufacturer’s Warranty. Sofas from Revolve Furnishings' collection have a Lifetime Manufacturer's Warranty on the frame, 5 years on the foam, and 5 years on the leather. Manufacturer warranties cover manufacturer defects that occur with normal use. All manufacturer warranties are void if you do not maintain and properly care for your furniture. When you pay for full delivery, the Manufacturer’s Warranty will cover onsite service within the Calgary area.
Do you have a modern furniture and decor showroom?
Yes! We have a beautiful showroom where you can see and test out our furniture, decor, and accents in person and get inspiration for your own space. Enjoy a beverage from our coffee and tea bar while you explore our extensive showroom.
Does Revolve have reupholstery services?
No, Revolve Furnishings does not offer reupholstery services. Please contact a local upholsterer for assistance in recovering your furniture.
If the sofa is not the right fit, can I return it?
Returns of in-stock items will only be accepted in original packaging and in unused condition. All returns after the first 24 hours of purchase will be subject to our approval and a minimum 25% restocking fee. All custom orders (items not in stock at the time of purchase), floor models, clearance products, or items sold “as is” cannot be returned under any circumstances.
Do you offer any professional design consultation services?
Yes we do! We have a team of dedicated designers available to help you with your furniture and decor needs. Check out our interior designers’ page to learn more about them.